- Select Help from the menu.
- From the drop-down menu, select Technical Support. This opens a dialogue window.
- Click the Trouble Report box on the bottom left. This creates the trouble.txt file.
- Answer Yes to the question, "Would you like to open the file in your word processor now?" This opens the file in Notepad on my computer. Do you see your serial number?
- Select File and then Save As. You can now save the trouble.txt file in a readily-accessible location on your computer.
After two years spent studying Elizabeth Shown Mills' Evidence Explained, our group needed a break. We decided that there is no better way to discover all that The Master Genealogist (TMG) can do than to explore its powerful custom report writer. If you would like to participate in the Tri-Valley TMG User Group's adventures as we examine the best ways to input data to make full use of TMG's wide range of reporting possibilities, please feel free to comment and share your ideas.
The Tri-Valley TMG User Group is associated with the Livermore-Amador Genealogical Society (L-AGS), and we meet in Pleasanton, California. Information on our meetings - location, date, time, and topic - is always available on the home page of the L-AGS web site. Our three-hour meetings are actually hands-on workshops in which up to fifteen computers are connected to a digital projector allowing customized personal assistance to attendees. In the past, the group has systematically studied Lee Hoffman's Getting the Most out of The Master Genealogist, Terry Reigel's A Primer for The Master Genealogist, and Elizabeth Shown Mills' Evidence Explained.
For further details on the reports we create, please visit our website. The section dealing with TMG reports begins at the page, "Exploring TMG's Report Menu."
Start following our new blog, "The Continuing Adventures of the TV-TMG User Group." This will detail our 2014 project.
Monday, June 24, 2013
Creating and Saving a Copy of Your TMG Serial Number
I know that we decided to add creating a trouble.txt file to our agenda for next month's meeting, but since we also decided that everyone should update to TMG version 8.08 some time this month, I decided that this little tip shouldn't wait.